- ‘ARC OF STEEL’ WARNING – One of the US Navy’s top admirals warns NATO’s political leaders that Russia is mounting a determined challenge on the high seas, all the way from the Arctic to the Black Sea and beyond.
- NEW PIRACY SPIKE – A failure to stop illegal fishing in Somali territorial waters may be one of the major factors leading to a new spike in piracy across the Gulf of Aden.
- TO DETER OR NOT TO DETER – Unwise statements by the new leader of the Labour Party have highlighted the serious lack of thought applied in the UK to the serious business of both nuclear and conventional strategic deterrence.
- POKER-FACED PYONGYANG – How North Korea’s so-called ‘submarine flush’ to sea hints at a new phase in the high stakes poker game being played by Kim Jong-un.
- IRELAND CHARTS TEN-YEAR COURSE – The Irish Navy is under-going a significant regeneration as laid down in a new Defence White Paper.
- PICTURE ESSAY REPORTS – Words and photos from the Japanese Maritime Self Defense (JMSDF) fleet review, the UK’s latest Joint Warrior exercise and NATO’s most recent manoeuvres.
And so much more in the December 2015 edition of WARSHIPS IFR!
Pictured above: US Navy sailors train in how to board a suspect pirate ship in the Gulf of Aden.
Contents subject to change.